Wednesday, April 20, 2016

First Job by Diva

At the age of fourteen, I was hired by a white couple to watch their kids during the day while they worked. It was a summer job for me. The man worked with my grandfather who had recommended me. It paid $25 a week which seemed like a fortune.

After a week or so, the man started coming home for lunch which he had never done before. He said inappropriate things about my hair,  my body,  my skin ... then, he suggested that we could have beautiful kids. I looked so shocked he changed it to polkadot kids trying to make me laugh ... I did not laugh.

I told him my dad would kill him if he touched me. He left. I stayed with the kids until the wife came home and when I left I did not return. I told my grandmother because I knew cooler heads will prevail. I did not tell my grandfather because he would have felt guilty. I didn't tell my dad because he would have beat the man to a pulp. And, I did not tell my mom because she would've found a way to run over him. The next summer I got a different job in an office.




Editor's note: Reach Diva on Twiter @kaalax008

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Diva for sharing your story ... I am so glad for you that he was sufficiently afraid to pursue his intent. What is sad is that even today, I am sure this is still occurring. Worse, that the victims of sexual harassment/assault are still being made to feel as if they are at fault when it happens. Our society has not made any progress in this area at all. We have only to look at the recent discussions surrounding the whole disgusting Peyton Manning debacle to see that. Until our world starts to stand up for the victims first, this behavior of sexual assault on young women will continue. I am so sorry it happened, but so very glad, that you ended up being one of the lucky ones who were not harmed my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete